Friday, March 19, 2010

Iraq the Beautiful?

So Iraq is an ugly war-torn country full of tragic stories and scarred earth. The media has been putting that out for years, and as a first hand witness I can say that it is true -- about 98% true. Every now and then you will see a nicely cultivated area near the Tigris river, or a beautifully colored sunset. These pictures are some I have taken that show a different side to Iraq.

The Echo palm grove. This is right off the refuel area at FOB Echo. It is my favorite little space in all of Iraq. There is an old Iraqi military bunker in the middle of it that is fun to explore. One night when my aircraft broke at FOB Echo I just took a nap on the forward avionics bay (FAB) of my helicopter right next to the palm grove while I waited for the part and a mechanic to be flown in for the repair. I clipped the D-ring carabiner from my flight vest to one of the handles on the side of the Apache so I wouldn't roll off the FAB while napping.

While the ground may be mostly ugly, we see a lot of cool skies while flying our missions.



Sunrise over our hangar at FOB Delta.

This is that same sunrise a few minutes later looking back at the crash rescue fire trucks




Sunset from the top of my helicopter that I was doing my preflight inspection on before a night mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment